Chopped onion and sharp Cheddar cheese add flavor to these traditional Scottish scones.
Cheddar and Onion Scones
Yield: 18 scones
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cheese, onion mixture, and cream. For each scone, spoon 2 tablespoons dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
From TeaTime September/October 2006
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!