Inspired by the classic date ball candies, our bonbons use dried tart cherries and pecans for a marvelous twist perfect for springtime or anytime of the year. Pictured with our Berry-Lavender Cheesecake Squares and Orange Poppyseed Tea Cakes.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped dried tart cherries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Line several rimmed baking sheets with wax paper.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in granulated sugar and egg until thoroughly combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, approximately 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in cherries, vanilla extract, salt, rice cereal, and pecans until combined. Let mixture cool until cool enough to handle but still warm and pliable.
- Using a 2-teaspoon levered scoop, portion candy mixture onto prepared baking sheets. Roll each candy portion between palms of hands, creating rounded balls. (Grease hands with butter, if candy mixture is sticky.)
- Place confectioners’ sugar in a bowl. Roll balls in confectioners’ sugar to coat. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container with layers divided by wax paper.