The key components of traditional Chicken à la King—diced chicken in a cream sauce with vegetables—served in a light, fluffy puff pastry shell transforms this Sunday supper classic into an individual savory for teatime.
Chicken à la King Patty Shells
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen puff pastry shells (6 shells)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped white button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ cup diced cooked chicken breast
- ⅓ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons diced pimientos
- Paprika Panko Crumbs (recipe follows)
- Bake puff pastry shells according to package directions. (For best flavor and freshness, bake just before serving.)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery, cooking until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes. (Reduce heat if vegetables start to brown.) Stir in mushrooms and cook until tender, approximately 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, creating a roux, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a simmer. (Mixture will be smooth and creamy.) Stir in cream, soy sauce, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper until incorporated. Add chicken, peas, and pimientos. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture gently simmers and is heated through. Cover pan and keep on very low heat until ready to fill pastry shells.
- Place baked pastry shells on a serving dish. Fill pastry shells with warm chicken mixture and sprinkle with Paprika Panko Crumbs. Serve immediately.
Make-Ahead Tip: Once cooked, chicken filling can be cooled, transferred to a covered container, and refrigerated for up to a day in advance. To reheat, warm chicken filling in a covered saucepan over very low heat. Stir in additional chicken broth to loosen mixture, if necessary.
Paprika Panko Crumbs
Serves: ¼ cup
The almost sweet profile of paprika adds a nice hint of spice to these baked bread crumbs that serve as a delectable topping for our Chicken à la King Patty Shells.
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, melted butter, and paprika. Toss until bread crumbs are coated in butter. Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container until needed.