Chilled Succotash Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette is a refreshing seasonal savory.
Chilled Succotash Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
Makes 8 servings
- 2 ears yellow corn, shucked
- 1 cup okra pods
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup cooked baby lima beans
- ½ cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Red Wine Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Garnish: crumbled cooked bacon
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, and add corn ears. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove corn ears from boiling water.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat until very hot. Place corn ears in pan, and sear, turning frequently with tongs, until corn kernels are slightly charred, approximately 1 minute. Remove from pan, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Stand corn ears on end, and using a sharp knife, cut downward, removing kernels from cobs. (You should have approximately ½ cup corn kernels.)
- Cut okra pods on the diagonal into ¼-inch slices, discarding stems and tips. (You should have approximately ½ cup okra.)
- In a medium nonstick sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add okra, and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly charred. Add 1 teaspoon water, and cover pan with lid to steam okra. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until okra is tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together corn kernels, okra, lima beans, and black-eyed peas until blended. Add enough Red Wine Vinaigrette to moisten vegetables, reserving some to drizzle over individual servings.
- Place succotash in a covered container, and refrigerate until cold, approximately 4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir succotash, and spoon into individual serving dishes. Drizzle with remaining Red Wine Vinaigrette.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, if desired.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Makes 6 tablespoons
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, salt, pepper, and sugar. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Cover and store vinaigrette at room temperature, and use the same day.