Sweet hazelnuts and rich dark chocolate make a supremely delicious combination in this gluten-free scone.
Chocolate-Hazelnut Gluten-Free Scones
Yield: 24 scones • Preparation: 20 minutes • Bake: 15 to 17 minutes
Write a review
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- ½ cup sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold salted butter
- ⅓ cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup dark chocolate morsels†
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: fresh raspberries and mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add hazelnuts and chocolate, stirring to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine 1¼ cups cream and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a dough forms. Continue to bring dough together in bowl, using hands. (If mixture seems dry and won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.) Dough will be very stiff.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 24 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.Brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- *We used Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour (glutino.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring.
- †We used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Dark Chocolate Baking Chips.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/