These Chocolate Macarons filled with Semisweet Chocolate Ganache are perfect for the chocolate-lover at your tea.
Yield: 17 sandwich cookies
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup sifted almond meal
- 3 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 recipe Semisweet Chocolate Ganache (recipe follows)
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl, and let stand uncovered at room temperature for exactly 3 hours.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a pencil, draw 1¾-inch circles 2 inches apart on parchment paper. Turn paper over.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine confectioners’ sugar, almond meal, cocoa, and salt, pulsing until blended.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed with a mixer until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes. Egg whites will be thick, shiny, and creamy.
- Add almond mixture to egg whites, folding until well combined and mixture falls from spatula in thick sheets. Let batter stand for 15 minutes.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe batter into drawn circles on prepared baking sheets. Slam baking sheets vigorously on countertop 5 to 7 times to release air bubbles. Let stand at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes before baking to help develop the macarons’ signature crisp exterior when baked. (Macarons should feel dry to the touch and should not stick to finger.)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Bake until firm to the touch, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pans. Transfer to an airtight container with layers separated by waxed paper. Refrigerate until ready to fill and serve.
- Place Semisweet Chocolate Ganache in a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe ganache onto flat side of a macaron, and top with another macaron, flat sides together. Push down lightly, and twist so filling spreads to edges. Repeat with remaining macarons and filling.
- Serve immediately, or place in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Semisweet Chocolate Ganache
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium-high heat until bubbles begin to form around edge of pan and cream is very hot. Remove from heat, and add chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute for chocolate to melt, and stir until smooth.
- Before using, let ganache cool until somewhat solid.
- Kitchen Tip: To cool ganache quickly, place bowl with ganache in a bowl of ice, and stir frequently until ganache reaches desired piping consistency.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!