Tasty mandarin oranges and semisweet chocolate combine to create toothsome Chocolate & Mandarin Orange Scones.
Chocolate & Mandarin Orange Scones
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup dried mandarin oranges, chopped
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 3 large eggs, divided
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- Garnish: fresh orange zest curls
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in dried oranges and chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add eggs and yogurt, gently stirring to combine.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead until a smooth dough forms. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 16 scones from dough. Place scones on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg. Brush tops of scones with egg, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
- Garnish with orange zest curls, if desired. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!