Chocolate, vanilla, and salted pistachios combine to create delicious and eye-catching Chocolate-Vanilla Pinwheels. Chocolate-Vanilla Pinwheels pictured with S’mores Pudding Cups.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1½ tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup finely chopped roasted salted pistachios
- Coat 4 (16×12-inch) parchment paper sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, beating at medium speed until thick and creamy, approximately 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add flour mixture and egg white to butter mixture, beating until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Transfer half of dough (approximately 9 ounces) to a medium bowl and set aside. Add cocoa powder to remaining dough in bowl, beating until blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Place vanilla dough on cooking spray side of a prepared parchment paper sheet, and cover with another parchment paper sheet, cooking spray side down. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 12×6-inch rectangle, occasionally gently peeling back paper to straighten sides of dough. Repeat with chocolate dough and remaining 2 prepared parchment paper sheets. Refrigerate both doughs for approximately 1 hour. Let stand at room temperature until paper can be easily removed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Gently remove top sheet of paper from chocolate dough. Repeat with vanilla dough. Place vanilla dough, paper side up, on top of chocolate dough. Gently remove top sheet of paper. Starting with a long side, roll dough into a log, using bottom parchment to help roll. Roll dough log in pistachios. Place dough log on a sheet of plastic wrap, twisting ends to seal. Refrigerate until fırm, approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, trim and discard ½ inch from each end of log. Cut log into scant ½-inch thick slices. Place slices 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until set on tops and lightly browned on bottoms, approximately 16 minutes. Let cool on pans 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!