Major Grey’s chutney is a spicy, vinegar-based condiment traditionally made from mangoes. Here, it adds delightful sweetness and a marvelous flavor boost to classic ham salad.
- 1 cup diced smoked deli ham slice (approximately 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup plus 1½ tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
- 1½ tablespoons Major Grey’s mango chutney
- ½ tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 14 slices very thinly sliced white bread
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse ham until very finely chopped.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ham, onion, celery, bell pepper, 1½ tablespoons mayonnaise, chutney, ½ teaspoon lemon juice, and ⅛ teaspoon salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining ¼ cup mayonnaise, remaining ½ tablespoon lemon juice, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt until combined to make an aïoli. Spread a thin layer of aïoli onto each bread slice. Spread a thick even layer of ham salad onto aïoli side of 7 bread slices. Top each with a remaining bread slice, aïoli side down, to make 7 whole sandwiches.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from each sandwich to make a perfect square. Cut each sandwich diagonally into 4 equal triangles. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for a few hours until serving time.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!