Filled with fresh fruity flavor, these Citrus Scones are a delight for teatime.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, grapefruit zest, lemon zest, orange zest, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine cream, vanilla extract, and lemon extract, stirring well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 9 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, grapefruit juice, orange juice, and lemon juice, whisking until smooth. Brush tops of scones with citrus glaze. Let dry completely before serving.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!