Coconut Cream Pie Shooters
- 1⅔ cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- ⅔ cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, spread ⅔ cup coconut in a single layer. Bake until lightly toasted, 4 to 6 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Remove from oven, and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, stir together vanilla wafer crumbs, ⅓ cup toasted coconut, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Add melted butter, stirring well. Divide crumb mixture among 12 dessert glasses. Using a spoon, press crumb mixture into bottom of glasses. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Add whole milk, coconut milk, and egg yolks, whisking well. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan.
- Cook filling mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup coconut (untoasted), vanilla extract, and coconut extract, stirring until incorporated. Transfer filling to a heatproof bowl, and place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the filling to prevent it from forming a skin, and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Divide filling among prepared dessert glasses. Cover each glass with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface of filling. Refrigerate until set, approximately 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks form. Divide sweetened whipped cream among dessert glasses and sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup toasted coconut. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!