Your teatime guest will love these festive Coconut, Honey & Lime French Macarons!
Coconut, Honey & Lime French Macarons
- 1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- Honey-Lime Filling (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Line several rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a pencil, draw 48 (1-inch) circles 2 inches apart on parchment; turn parchment paper over.
- In a large bowl, sift together almond flour and confectioners’ sugar. Fold in 2 egg whites just until a sticky paste forms. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together salt and remaining 2 egg whites at medium-high speed until frothy.
- In a small saucepan, stir together granulated sugar and ¼ cup water. Heat over high heat until a candy thermometer registers 246°. Transfer to a heatproof liquid-measuring cup, and let cool for 1 minute.
- Gradually add hot syrup to egg white mixture, beating at high speed until stiff peaks forms.
- Using a large spatula, fold egg white mixture into almond mixture in 3 additions until batter falls in thick ribbons.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe batter onto drawn circles on prepared baking sheets. Tap baking sheets vigorously on counter 5 to 7 times to release air bubbles. Sprinkle batter with coconut. Let stand at room temper-ature for 45 to 60 minutes before baking to help develop the macaron’s signature crisp exterior when baked. (Macarons should feel dry to the touch and should not stick to finger.)
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Bake until firm to the touch, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pans.
- Wrap cookies in plastic wrap in groups of 4 to 6, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate until ready to fill and serve, up to 3 days.
- Place Honey-Lime Filling in a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe filling in a circle onto flat side of 24 cookies. Spoon
- ¼ teaspoon honey in center of filling. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of filling to make 24 sandwich cookies. Serve immediately.
Make-Ahead Tip: Macarons can be assembled a day in advance, stored in an airtight container, and refrigerated until ready to use. Let come to room temperature before serving.
Makes 2 cups
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon all-vegetable shortening, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add shortening and remaining ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, beating until incorporated.
- Switch to the whisk attachment, and beat mixture at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk and remaining ingredients, beating until combined. Use immediately.