Dried pineapple and flaked coconut are baked in this tropical bar, which is then dipped into white chocolate and topped with toasted coconut.
Coconut-Pineapple White Chocolate Bars
Yield: 2½ dozen bars • Preparation: 1 hour • Refrigerate: 2 hours • Bake: 15 minutes • Cool: 20 minutes
Write a review
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped dried pineapple
- 1 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 10 (1-ounce) squares white baking chocolate, melted and divided
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- ½ (16-ounce) package vanilla-flavored candy coating
- In a large bowl, combine butter and shortening. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Add sugar, cream, vanilla, and salt, beating until combined. Add flour, pineapple, and ¼ cup coconut. Mix at low speed until combined.
- Remove dough, and divide into 2 portions. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine 7 squares white chocolate and conden-sed milk. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until melted. Remove from heat. Add coconut extract, stirring to combine. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 10-x-8-inch rectangle approximately ¼ inch thick. Spread chocolate mixture over dough.
- Roll remaining dough into a 10-x-8-inch rectangle approximately ¼ inch thick. Place atop chocolate-covered dough, and gently press edges with fingers to seal. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 2¾-x-1¼-inch bars. Set aside.
- Place candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat coating in a micro-wave oven on High (100 percent power) in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring between each interval, approximately 1½ minutes total.
- Dip bottoms of bars in melted coating. Place bars coated side up on parchment paper to dry.
- Melt remaining 3 squares white chocolate in the same manner as candy coating.
- Spoon a strip of melted white chocolate across each bar. Sprinkle with remaining ¾ cup coconut. Let dry for at least 30 minutes.
- • Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/