Kids will fall in love with these tasty and eye-catching Corn Deer accompanied by a delicious Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce.
- 24 miniature smoked sausages
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fine-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 25 (6-inch) wooden skewers
- Miniature pretzel twists
- Finely chopped black olives
- Finely chopped red bell pepper
- Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 200°. Set a wire cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place sausages on paper towels to drain. Blot dry with additional paper towels, if necessary.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In another small bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture, stirring until well combined. (For easier dipping, pour batter into a short drinking glass, refilling as necessary.)
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°.
- Using scissors, cut and discard sharp points from 24 wooden skewers. Insert skewers lengthwise through center of sausages, leaving one end exposed to use as a handle.
- Working in batches, dip sausages in batter, coating evenly. Immediately and carefully place coated sausages into hot oil. Fry, turning frequently, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Let drain on prepared rack, and place in oven to keep warm while frying remaining sausages.
- For antlers, break up pretzel twists as evenly as possible. Using remaining skewer, make 2 small holes on each side at top of each sausage. Insert the end of a pretzel piece into each hole.
- For eyes, place 2 small dots of mayonnaise on corn dog, and gently press an olive piece into each mayonnaise dot.
- For nose, place a small dot of mayonnaise on corn dog, and gently press a bell pepper piece into each mayonnaise dot.
- Serve with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce within an hour.
Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
Serves: 1 cup
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup honey
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mustard, sour cream, and honey until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!