Combine the delicious flavors of tangy cranberry and sweet basil for these delicious Cranberry-Basil Scones.
Write a review
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ¾ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and basil, stirring to combine.
- Add cream to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 3 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 10 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as needed. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, whisking until smooth. Spoon over cooled scones on wire cooling rack, and let dry before serving.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/