Chock full of walnuts, these Cream Cheese-Swirled Walnut Brownies are a chocolate lover’s delight.
Cream Cheese–Swirled Walnut Brownies
Yield: 16 brownies • Preparation: 30 minutes • Bake: 43 minutes • Refrigerate: 4 hours
Write a review
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup plus ⅓ cup sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, divided
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line an 8-inch square pan with heavy-duty foil, allowing foil to hang over edges of pan to create handles. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, ⅓ cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour, melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until combined. Beat at high speed until mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine butter and chocolate. Place bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, being careful not to let bottom of bowl touch water and stirring to combine as mixture melts. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining 2 eggs, and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, stirring well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ½ cup flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
- Add ¼ cup chocolate mixture to egg mixture, stirring vigorously to incorporate. (This will keep eggs from curdling). Add remaining chocolate mixture in portions, stirring until blended. Add flour mixture, stirring to incorporate. Add walnuts, stirring well.
- Spread chocolate mixture into prepared pan, creating a smooth and level surface. Drop cream-cheese mixture by spoonfuls over chocolate mixture. To create swirls, drag a knife or chopstick through batters in a zigzag motion.
- Bake until brownie is set and slightly firm, approximately 43 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover, and refrigerate until well chilled, approximately 4 hours. Remove brownie from pan by lifting with foil handles.
- Using a long, sharp knife, press down to cut brownie into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/