Cream cheese mixed with pumpkin purée, lemon zest and juice, and fresh rosemary creates a unique seasonal filling for a classic triple-stack finger sandwich. Cream Cheese Triple-Stack Sandwiches pictured with our Turkey Tea Sandwiches.
Cream Cheese Triple-Stack Sandwiches
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 9 slices very thin whole wheat bread
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium-high speed until smooth. Add pumpkin, lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, salt, and garlic powder, beating at medium speed until mixture is creamy and well combined, approximately 2 minutes.
- Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture onto 2 bread slices. Stack on top of each other, cream cheese sides up. Top with a third bread slice to make a triple-stack sandwich. Repeat with remaining bread slices and cream cheese mixture to make 3 whole sandwiches.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from sandwiches. (If sandwiches are difficult to work with, freeze them until slightly firm.) Cut each sandwich into 3 finger sandwiches.
- Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate until serving time, up to an hour.
Make-Ahead Tip: Cream cheese mixture can be made day in advance, stored in an airtight container, and refrigerated for up to a day. Let come to room temperature and beat again before using.