Celebrate autumn with festive flair by serving rich Creamy Pumpkin Soup.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Yield: 6 (½-cup) servings • Preparation: 45 minutes • Bake: 60 minutes • Cook: 45 minutes
Write a review
- 1 (3-pound) sugar pie pumpkin*
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1½ cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 (32-ounce) carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: crème fraîche and maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place pumpkin on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pumpkin feels soft to the touch when pressed between 2 oven mitts, approximately 1 hour. Let pumpkin cool completely.
- Cut pumpkin in half, and scoop out and discard seeds and fibers. Scoop out pumpkin flesh from shell, reserving 3 cups.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and caramelized, approximately 15 minutes. Add reserved pumpkin, chicken broth, thyme, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and pepper, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup until very smooth and creamy.
- Garnish individual servings with a swirl of crème fraîche and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
- *If fresh pumpkin is not available, use 3 cups canned pumpkin, and skip first three steps.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/