Tangy crème fraîche gives just the right amount of je ne sais quoi to these delectable scones that also get beautifully balanced flavor from fresh lemon zest and vanilla and almond extracts.
Crème Fraîche Scones
Serves: approximately 14
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- Garnish: strawberry slices
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ⅓ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together crème fraîche, ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until evenly moist. (Mixture will look dry and shaggy.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough begins to form. (Dough will be firm. If mixture seems dry and dough won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time. Avoid adding too much extra cream, though, or scones will not hold their shape when baked.)
- Turn out dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until smooth by patting dough and folding it in half 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut as many scones as possible from dough, rerolling scraps as needed. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Brush tops of scones with egg mixture. Sprinkle tops of scones with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving
- Garnish each scone with a strawberry slice cut to resemble a heart, if desired.