These Cucumber Canapés are crisp and fresh–the perfect refreshing bite for your teatime.
Serves: 8 canapés
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ½ cup sliced shallots
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- Garnish: chive sprigs
- In a small sauté pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and reduce heat to low. Cook until shallots are tender and lightly caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine cream cheese, caramelized shallots, chives, cream, salt, garlic powder, and pepper, processing until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler, peel lengthwise strips from cucumber, creating a striped effect. Cut cucumber crosswise into ½-inch slices. Using a small melon scoop, core inside of each cucumber slice.
- Place cream cheese mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large open-star tip (Wilton #1M). Pipe mixture into each cucumber cavity in a decorative swirl.
- Garnish with chive sprigs, if desired.
Make-Ahead Tip: Cream cheese mixture can be made a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container until needed. Let soften enough to pipe before using. Filled cucumber slices (minus chive garnish) can be piped an hour before serving and refrigerated until serving time. Garnish with chives just before serving.