These Cucumber Flower Canapés might be the prettiest cucumber sandwiches we’ve ever seen.
Cucumber Flower Canapés
Yield: 16 canapés • Preparation: 30 minutes • Refrigerate: 1 hour
Write a review
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped sweet onion
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices firm white sandwich bread, such as Pepperidge Farm White Sandwich Bread
- 64 paper-thin slices English cucumber with peel
- Garnish: fresh lemon zest
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, onion, salt, and pepper, whisking to blend. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour to allow flavors to meld.
- Using a 1¾-inch square cutter, cut 16 shapes from bread.
- Spread ¼ teaspoon mayonnaise mixture onto each bread square. Fold each cucumber slice in half and then in quarters. Pinch the inner fold of each cucumber slice between your thumb and forefinger, and place on bread square, green edges up. Repeat 3 times per canapé. Arrange folds to resemble a flower.
- Garnish cucumber flowers with lemon zest in centers, if desired.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate, lightly covered, for up to 30 minutes before serving.
- • For thin, even cucumber slices, use a mandoline.
- • Mayonnaise can be made a day in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Bread slices can be cut a day in advance and stored in a resealable plastic bag.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/