Scrumptious tropical flavors combine in a charming floral shape in Dairy-Free Pineapple, Macadamia & Coconut Scones.
Dairy-Free Pineapple, Macadamia & Coconut Scones
Serves: 13 to 15
- 6 tablespoons virgin unrefined coconut oil
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup golden coconut sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweetened dried pineapple, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted and cooled
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold organic coconut milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place coconut oil in a shallow bowl. Refrigerate until oil begins to solidify, 5 to 10 minutes. Using a fork, score coconut oil deeply to create a fine grid pattern. Refrigerate until firm, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using your fingertips, rub in cold coconut oil as lightly as possible until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add ½ cup pineapple and toasted macadamia nuts, stirring to combine. Add 1 cup cold coconut milk, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. Working gently and quickly, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured* surface, and gently knead by patting dough and folding it in half 4 or 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut as many scones as possible from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones on prepared baking sheet, and place baking sheet in freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush tops of frozen scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cold coconut milk.
- In a small bowl, stir together macadamia nuts and remaining 2 tablespoons pineapple. Divide mixture among centers of scones, mounding slightly.Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Once frozen, transfer raw scones to heavy-duty resealable plastic bags, and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake frozen scones on parchment-lined baking sheets as indicated in recipe.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!