Egg and Cress Canapés
- 8 slices firm white sandwich bread, frozen
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 5 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and sliced
- 16 sprigs watercress
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a 1½-inch square cutter, cut 16 shapes from frozen bread, discarding scraps. Place bread squares on prepared baking sheet, and let thaw.
- Bake until bread squares are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let bread squares cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and mayonnaise, stirring well.
- Using an egg slicer or a chef’s knife, cut 16 round slices from eggs.
- Spread a layer of mustard mixture onto toasted bread squares. Top each with an egg slice and a sprig of watercress.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!