Slices of soft, tender brioche bread make a wonderful vessel for the delectable egg mayonnaise filling in these Egg and Cress Tea Sandwiches.
Egg and Cress Tea Sandwiches
Elevate a classic egg mayonnaise (egg salad) with watercress, a quintessentially British green that can also make for charming garnish for a number of savories.
- 6 large eggs, hard-cooked and peeled
- ¾ cup finely chopped watercress
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 8 slices brioche sandwich bread
- In a medium bowl, using a pastry blender or 2 forks, chop eggs into small pieces. Add watercress, mayonnaise, mustard, dill, salt, and pepper, stirring to blend.
- Spread a thick layer of egg mixture onto 4 bread slices. Top each with a remaining bread slice to make 4 whole sandwiches.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from sandwiches. Cut sandwiches into 3 rectangles. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for up to an hour until serving time.
Make-Ahead Tip: Egg mayonnaise (egg salad) can be made without watercress up to a day in advance, placed in an airtight container, and refrigerated. Add watercress just before using.