Miniature Egg Custard Tartlets with a beautiful strawberry garnish.
Egg Custard Tartlets
Write a review
- 1½ (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated pie dough (3 sheets)
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie dough. Using a 4½-inch round cutter, cut 12 rounds from pie dough (4 from each sheet). Press into 12 (3¾-inch) tartlet pans, trimming edges as necessary. Prick bottoms with a fork, and place pre- pared tartlet pans on a rimmed baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake until light golden brown, approximately 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, egg yolks, sugar, honey, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and salt, whisking to blend.
- In a small saucepan, scald cream until very hot but not boiling. Gradually add hot cream to egg mixture, whisking to incorporate. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a liquid-measuring cup. Divide custard mixture among cooled tart- let shells.
- Bake until custard is set, 10 to 11 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from tartlet pans.
- Garnish each tartlet with a strawberry slice, if desired.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Tartlet shells can be baked a day in advance and stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Custard mixture can be made a day in advance, placed in a covered container, and refrigerated until needed.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/