Egg and tomato come together beautifully in these delicious and dainty Egg & Tomato Tea Sandwiches.
Egg & Tomato Tea Sandwiches
Author: Recipe Courtesy of Margaret M. Johnson, Teatime in Ireland, irishcook.com
- 6 slices firm white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 to 2 cherry tomatoes
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 to 2 lettuce leaves, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- With a serrated knife, trim and discard crusts from each bread slice. Butter one side of each slice; set aside.
- Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out flesh and seeds; dice tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mash eggs. Stir in tomatoes, onion, lettuce, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Spread a thick layer of egg mixture onto buttered side of each bread slice. Top with watercress and cover with the remaining bread slices, butter side down, to make 3 sandwiches.
- With a serrated knife, cut each sandwich diagonally into 4 triangles. Serve immediately or cover with a damp tea towel or paper towels and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!