These delicate Fairy Kisses are a delightful treat.
Yield: approximately 65
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Garnish: Wilton Sprinkles Pink Sparkling Sugar
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugars and salt, beating until mixture is thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer egg-white mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (Ateco #848). Using an upright motion, pipe egg-white mixture onto prepared baking sheets, pulling up tip to produce a drop shape.
- Garnish with sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off, but leave meringues in oven for 6 to 8 hours to continue drying.
- Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
Kitchen Tip: Since humidity will affect meringues, bake these Fairy Kisses when the air is dry.