A cross between a scone and a rock cake, these fruit-filled Fat Rascal Scones are a delightful addition to your afternoon tea menu.
Fat Rascal Scones
- 1½ cups cake flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅔ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup dried black currants
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, lemon zest, salt, apple pie spice, and ginger. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add currants, stirring well. Add ½ cup cream, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 12 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 2 tablespoons cream. Brush top of scones with egg wash.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!