Fennel & Sweet Onion Quiches are a delightful afternoon tea savory.
Fennel & Sweet Onion Quiches
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (2 sheets)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped fennel bulb
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Garnish: fennel blossoms*
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Lightly spray 8 (3¾-inch) tartlet pans with cooking spray. Place tartlet pans on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Unroll pie dough sheets on a lightly floured surface. Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut 8 rounds from pie dough. Press rounds into prepared tartlet pans, trimming excess as necessary. Using the large end of a chopstick, press dough into indentations in sides of tartlet pans.
- Prick bottom of pie dough with a fork to prevent puffing while baking. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake until crusts are light golden brown, approximately 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fennel and onion. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until fennel and onion are tender and translucent, approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide cheese among prepared tartlet pans. Top cheese layer with cooked fennel and onion.
- In a large liquid-measuring cup, combine eggs, cream, salt, and pepper, whisking to blend. Divide egg mixture among tartlet pans. Sprinkle each quiche with thyme.
- Bake until set and slightly puffed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature for up to 3 hours.
- Garnish with fennel blossoms just before serving, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!