Our Flourless Almond Cake is a gluten-free treat any day of the week.
Flourless Almond Cake with Pear Preserves
Yield: 14 servings • Preparation: 30 minutes • Bake: 30 minutes • Cool: 1 hour
Write a review
- 1¼ cups whole raw almonds with skins
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup superfine or castor sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (11.5-ounce) jar pear preserves, such as Braswell’s
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Generously coat a 9-inch springform pan with butter and then with flour, shaking out excess. Set aside.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground, being careful not to overprocess into a nut butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar, beating at high speed with an electric mixer until light and creamy, approximately 2 minutes. Add almond extract.
- Add salt to ground almonds, whisking well. Add to egg-yolk mixture, beating at medium speed until incorporated. Batter will be very stiff. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spoon one-third of beaten egg whites into almond batter, stirring vigorously to loosen mixture. Add remaining egg whites, folding to incorporate. Spread mixture into prepared pan, smoothing with a spatula.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 30 minutes. (Top of cake will feel somewhat firm to the touch.) Let cake cool completely in pan, approximately 1 hour.*
- Remove cake from pan, and place cake on a cake plate.
- In a small saucepan, melt pear preserves over low heat, stirring to loosen. Spoon preserves over surface of cake, spreading evenly.
- Cut cake into thin wedges to serve.
- *Cake should pull away from sides of pan as it cools. If it doesn’t, run a sharp knife around sides of cake to loosen.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
From TeaTime January/February 2014
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!