These Glazed Lemon Cookies are full of zesty citrus flavor.
Glazed Lemon Cookies
Yield: 70 cookies Preparation: 45 minutes Bake: 7 to 9 minutes per batch Cool: approximately 15 minutes Dry: approximately 1 hour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 recipe Lemon Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line several rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Add egg, vanilla extract, and lemon extract, beating until incorporated. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until dough is uniformly moist and comes together into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-x-1½-inch fluted-edge oval or football-shaped cutter, cut 70 shapes from dough, rerolling dough as necessary. Cover remaining dough with plastic wrap while rolling to prevent it from drying out.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges of cookies are light golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes per batch. Transfer to wire cooling racks, and let cool completely.
- Spoon Lemon Glaze over cookies, and let dry completely.
Make-Ahead Tip: Cookies can be baked a week in advance and frozen (unglazed) in airtight containers with waxed paper separating cookie layers. Let cookies thaw completely before glazing.
Yield: 1 cup • Preparation: 5 minutes
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice, whisking until well blended. Use immediately.
From TeaTime March/April 2014