Layers of tangy buttermilk scone dough envelope a cooked apple filling laced with warming spices for a decadent gluten-free treat. Pair the Gluten-free Apple Pie Scones with a scrumptious Vanilla Cream.
Gluten-free Apple Pie Scones
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, divided
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour*
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon whole buttermilk, divided
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add apple, cooking 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook until apples are slightly tender when pierced with a fork. Transfer apple filling to a heatproof bowl or plate. Refrigerate until cool, at least 30 minutes and up to a day.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut remaining 6 tablespoons butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a dough begins to form. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms. (If mixture seems dry and dough won’t come together, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured* surface, and knead gently until smooth by patting dough and folding it in half 4 to 5 times. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough portion to a 7-inch circle. Spread half of apple filling over a dough circle, leaving a ½-inch border around edge. Top with another dough circle, and spread with remaining apple filling, leaving a ½-inch border around edge. Top with remaining dough circle. Press border lightly to seal in filling. If necessary, lightly roll out dough circle stack to a ¾- to 1-inch thickness. Using a large sharp knife, cut dough circle into 8 wedges. Using a large metal spatula, carefully transfer scones to prepared baking sheet, keeping wedges touching and circle intact.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- Bake until scones are lightly browned, approximately 20 minutes. Serve warm.
*We used King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour.