Vanilla and a hint of cinnamon meld with the flavors of banana and pecans to create a wonderfully tasty gluten-free treat.
Gluten-Free Banana Nut Scones
Yield: 18 scones • Preparation: 10 minutes • Bake: 18 to 20 minutes
Write a review
- 2½ cups sifted gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped dried banana chips
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: finely chopped pecans and white sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add banana chips and pecans, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1¼ cups cream and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch star-shaped cutter, cut scones. Place scones on baking sheets.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and sugar crystals, if desired.
- Bake until lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes.
- *For testing purposes, we used Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour (glutino.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/