The distinctive sweetness of figs pairs perfectly with the full-bodied tang of blue cheese, making these Fig and Blue Cheese Scones a perfect tea treat on a chilly afternoon.
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1¾ cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking to combine. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Add figs and blue cheese, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cream and egg, whisking well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a dough forms. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
- Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle tops of scones with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until light golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- *For testing purposes, we used Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour (glutino.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring.
- • Not all blue cheese is gluten-free. Individuals with an allergy or sensitivity to gluten should confirm that the product they use in preparing this recipe is gluten-free.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!