Loaded with toffee bits and pecans, these Toffee-Pecan Scones are a crunchy teatime treat.
Gluten-Free Toffee-Pecan Scones
Yield: 13 scones • Preparation: 20 minutes • Bake: 18 to 20 minutes
Write a review
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup toffee bits, such as Heath English Toffee Bits
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add toffee bits and pecans, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine 1 cup cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 13 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Garnish tops of scones with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- *We used Pamela’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. Using another brand may yield different results.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/