Garnish your serving dish of these delicious Golden Raisin-Tarragon Scones with fresh blueberries, blackberries, fresh tarragon, and fresh edible flowers.
Golden Raisin-Tarragon Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy cream, divided
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: blueberries, blackberries, fresh tarragon, and fresh edible flowers*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins and tarragon, stirring to blend.
- In a small bowl, combine ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 5 to 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 9 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
*Edible flowers are available from Gourmet Sweet Botanicals, 800-931-7530, gourmetsweetbotanicals.com.
From TeaTime, July/August 2017
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!