Grapefruit-Orange Compote with Vanilla–Star Anise Syrup is a refreshing fruit dish. Pictured with Sugar and Spice Muffins.
Grapefruit-Orange Compote with Vanilla–Star Anise Syrup
Yield: 6 to 8 servings • Preparation: 1 hour • Refrigerate: 2 hours
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, scraped, and seeds and pod reserved
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, sectioned
- 2 navel oranges, sectioned
- Garnish: star anise pods
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Heat over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Add star anise pods and reserved vanilla seeds and pod. Remove from heat, and let steep for 1 hour.
- Strain liquid through cheesecloth, discarding solids. Reserve star anise pods, and add back to syrup. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine grapefruit and orange sections. Pour syrup over fruit. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Garnish individual servings with star anise, if desired. Serve cold.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!