Our buttermilk-based Green Goddess Dressing adds a modern twist to this chicken salad, which is also studded with tender artichoke hearts.
Green Goddess Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
Serves: Makes 24
While this dressings hint of sweetness comes from honey, its delightful tang is from yogurt, buttermilk and lemon. Avocado and a trio of herbs provide additional flavor as well as its subtle namesake color.
- 1 (8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ (14-ounce) can medium artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- Green Goddess Dressing (recipe follows)
- 48 slices white sandwich bread, frozen
- 24 small spinach leaves
- 24 thin small Campari tomato slices, patted dry
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place chicken on one end of a small rimmed baking sheet. Brush both sides of chicken with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Place artichokes in a single layer, cut side down, on opposite end of the baking sheet. Continue baking until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken breast registers 165° on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 12 minutes more. Let coo1 for 20 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice chicken into 4 pieces. Place chicken and artichokes in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a bowl. Add approximately ⅔ cup Green Goddess Dressing, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring until moistened and spreadable.
- Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 48 squares from frozen bread slices. Divide chicken salad among 24 bread squares, spreading in an even layer. Place a spinach leaf and a tomato slice over chicken salad layer. Top with remaining bread squares.
- Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate until needed, up to 1 hour.
Green Goddess Dressing
Serves: Makes about 1 cup
- ⅓ cup diced ripe avocado
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In the container of a blender, purée together avocado, buttermilk, yogurt, dill, parsley, tarragon, lemon zest and juice, honey, and salt until smooth and well combined, approximately 1 minute, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of blender. Use immediately.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!