Ham and Asparagus Canapés
- 6 very thin slices white bread
- 6 spears asparagus
- 6 thin slices deli ham
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 12 fresh chives
- Using a serrated bread knife, cut 12 (2½x1-inch) rectangles from bread.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add bread rectangles, and toast both sides of bread until golden brown. Remove from pan, and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place asparagus spears on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until crisp and tender, approximately 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut roasted asparagus spears in half crosswise.
- Using a sharp knife, cut ham into 12 (3x2½-inch) rectangles.
- Spread a thin layer of ranch dressing onto one side of toasted bread rectangles. Ruffle ham pieces to fit on bread rectangles. Top each canapé with a cut asparagus spear. Tie a chive around each canapé, trimming ends as needed.