These Hazelnut Scones are a delicious treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons whole milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: Blood orange slices
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add hazelnuts, stirring to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine cream,
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla extract, whisking well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted square cutter, cut 10 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon milk.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
- Garnish with blood orange slices, if desired.
Recommended Condiments: Faux Clotted Cream, Nutella Hazelnut-Chocolate Spread
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!