Be sure to make this Heirloom Tomato Tart with heirloom tomatoes, the so-called “ugly” tomatoes that are full of flavor.
- 4 to 5 heirloom tomatoes (various colors and sizes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (1 sheet)
- 1½ cups coarsely grated, sharp yellow Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Garnish: additional ground black pepper, additional chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice tomatoes, cutting larger tomatoes into ¼-inch slices for bottom layer and smaller tomatoes into ⅛-inch slices for top layer. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Unroll pie dough, and press into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, trimming and discarding excess dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheese, mayonnaise, parsley, green onion, and pepper, stirring to blend. Using an offset spatula, spread half of cheese mixture into bottom of tart pan in a thin even layer.
- Blot tomatoes dry with additional paper towels. Place a large tomato slice in center of pan on top of cheese mixture. Cut several large tomato slices in half, and arrange around center tomato slice. Cut remaining large slices into quarters to fill in spaces between tomato slices, creating a base layer.
- Spread remaining cheese mixture in an even layer on top of tomatoes.
- Arrange thinner tomato slices on top of cheese mixture in a pleasing pattern. Sprinkle with vinegar, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until crust is deep golden brown and cheese mixture is hot and beginning to bubble, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool slightly before removing from tart pan.
- Garnish with pepper and parsley, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature within 3 hours.
From TeaTime May/June 2016
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!