Served between two bread rounds spread with herbed mayonnaise, yellow and orange petite tomatoes shine as the filling of these savories that are destined to become tea party favorites. Herbed Tomato Sandwiches pictured with Ham and Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches.
Herbed Tomato Sandwiches
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices firm white sandwich bread, frozen
- ¾ cup finely diced yellow and orange cherry tomatoes
- Garnish: basil leaves and tiny tomato halves
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, dill, chives, basil, parsley, vinegar, salt, and pepper. (Can be made one day in advance and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for flavors to meld.)
- Using a 1½-inch fluted round cutter, cut 16 rounds from frozen bread slices. Keep covered with damp paper towels until thawed, or store in a resealable plastic bag.
- Using paper towels, blot diced tomatoes to absorb extra juice.
- Spread a layer of herbed mayonnaise onto bread rounds. Top mayonnaise side of 8 bread rounds with a layer of tomatoes. Cover each with a remaining bread round, mayonnaise side down. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for up to one hour before serving.
- Just before serving, garnish each with a basil leaf and tiny tomato half, if desired.