Delicious shortbread and flavorful herbs combine beautifully in Herbes de Provence Sablés.
Herbes de Provence Sablés
Serves: Approximately 48 cookies
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon water
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and 1 teaspoon water. Set aside for brushing tops of cookies.
- In the container of a blender, pulse together granulated sugar, lemon zest, herbes de Provence, and salt until herbs are ground.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, and granulated sugar mixture with a mixer at medium speed until blended, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as necessary. Add egg yolk, beating until blended. Gradually add flour, beating until a dough begins to form. Using hands, knead dough in bowl until a smooth dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a ⅛-inch thickness. Using a fluted 2¼-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut approximately 48 cookies from dough. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Lightly brush with egg white mixture. Lightly sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until cookie edges are golden brown, 8 to 11 minutes. Remove from baking sheets, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!