The popularity of chai has risen dramatically in the United States in the past decade. Now you can make your own masala chai using this simple recipe.
Homemade Masala Chai
Yield: 4 servings • Preparation: 20 minutes • Cook: 5 minutes
Write a review
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken into pieces
- 3 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons (4 tea bags) Assam black tea
- Using a mortar, crush cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon. Transfer crushed spices to a small saucepan; add water, ginger, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar (or honey), and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and add dry tea. Cover, and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Stir the masala chai, and strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/