Delicate lavender and a touch of honey make this Honey Lavender Ice Cream a refreshing treat with the perfect amount of sweetness for a warm afternoon tea.
Honey Lavender Ice Cream
Serves: About 1 quart
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup lavender honey
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey-lemon green tea leaves*
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- 8 egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the half-and-half, cream, honey, sugar, tea leaves, lavender, and seeds from scraped vanilla bean. Cook until the mixture just begins to boil; remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Using a ladle, pour 1 cup of the hot cream mixture in a slow, steady stream into the beaten yolks, whisking constantly. Slowly add a second cup of the cream mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the yolk-cream mixture back to saucepan; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, or until the mixture reaches 180 ̊ on an instant-read thermometer.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a stainless-steel bowl. Set bowl in an ice bath to cool mixture; stir frequently.
- Freeze the custard in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. 6. Scoop into Spun Sugar Bowls to serve.
*We used Celestial Seasonings Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea.