Filled with walnuts, banana, and pineapple, these Hummingbird Scones incorporate the delicious flavors of a classic cake into a toothsome scone. These scones pair perfectly with the Devonshire cream piped into the demitasse cup.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold cream cheese, cubed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- ¾ cup mashed overripe banana
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter and cold cream cheese until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts, stirring until combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together mashed banana and pineapple. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Using well-floured hands, knead gently until a smooth dough forms, 5 to 10 times. Roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 18 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared baking sheets. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Brush tops of scones with beaten egg.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!