These delectable Irish Cheddar Scones are the perfect savory treat for your St. Patrick’s Day tea.
Irish Cheddar Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups shredded Irish Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1 cup cheese, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until a smooth dough forms. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 15 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Places scones on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 12 minutes. Serve warm with Blackcurrant Jam.