These zesty Key Lime Tartlets are as beautiful as they are delicious.
Key Lime Tartlets
- 1½ (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated pie dough (3 sheets)
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1¾ cups sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup fresh Key lime juice
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Garnish: fresh lime zest
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie dough. Using a 4½-inch round cutter, cut 10 rounds from dough. Transfer each dough round to a 3¾-inch fluted round removable-bottom tartlet pan. Using wide end of a chopstick, gently press dough into indentations in sides of pans. Using a fork, prick bottom of each tartlet shell 4 times. Place tartlets on prepared baking sheets. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk 1 egg. Brush beaten egg onto tartlet shells. Top each tartlet shell with a sheet of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pans. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges of tartlet shells are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before carefully removing parchment and weights. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed milk, lime juice, and remaining 1 egg until combined. Divide filling among prepared crusts.
- Bake until filling is set, approximately 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg white and sugar. Cook over simmering water, whisking constantly, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. With a mixer at high speed, beat mixture until glossy and white and stiff peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a small star tip (Wilton #16). Holding piping bag perpendicular to tartlets, pipe small drops of meringue onto tartlets. Using a small kitchen torch*, carefully brown meringue. Place tartlets in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to a day.
- Before serving, carefully remove tartlets from pans. Garnish with lime zest, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!