These “King Creole” Catfish-Slaw Canapés are scrumptious savories.
“King Creole” Catfish-Slaw Canapés
- 8 to 12 ounces catfish fillets
- 2 cups finely ground yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning, such as Zatarain’s
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ice water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 12 large frozen waffle fries, cooked according to package directions
- 1 recipe Angel Hair Slaw (recipe follows)
- Cut catfish into nuggets to fit waffle fries.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, Creole seasoning, and salt, stirring well. Dip catfish nuggets into ice water, and then dredge in cornmeal mixture, completely coating fish.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers and is very hot, carefully slide catfish nuggets into hot oil, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in the oven on low heat.
- Top each cooked waffle fry with approximately 1 tablespoon Angel Hair Slaw and a warm catfish nugget.
- Serve immediately.
Angel Hair Slaw
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup finely chopped angel hair slaw cabbage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, green onion, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper, stirring until combined and well mixed. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!