These cool and chocolaty Layered Mint Brownies are a refreshing treat for a springtime tea.
Layered Mint Brownies
Serves: 16 brownies
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup salted butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops green liquid food color
- 2 (4-ounce) bars semisweet baking chocolate, such as Ghirardelli, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, letting edges of foil hang over sides to create handles. Line pan with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt, whisking to blend. Add eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract, whisking until incorporated. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake until a few moist crumbs cling to a wooden pick when inserted in the center, approximately 33 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack, approximately 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened butter, cream cheese, and 3 tablespoons cream. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar and peppermint extract, beating at low speed and gradually increasing to medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add food coloring, beating to blend.
- Using an offset spatula, spread mint mixture over cooled brownie layer. Refrigerate until well chilled, approximately 1 hour.
- In a medium saucepan, scald remaining 1 cup cream, but do not let it boil. Remove from heat, and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate melts and ganache is smooth and creamy. Let cool slightly.
- Pour ganache over chilled mint layer, spreading in an even layer. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using foil handles, lift brownie from pan and place on a cutting surface. Remove foil. Using a sharp chef ’s knife, trim edges, and cut into 16 squares. (To create clean lines and keep layers separate when cutting, press down rather than using a sawing motion.)
- Store in the refrigerator.
Make-Ahead Tip: Brownies can be made a week in advance, placed whole in an airtight container, and frozen. Let thaw enough to trim and cut brownies, and store in the refrigerator.